PRP (platelet-rich plasma), also known as the Vampire Facial, and PRF (platelet-rich fibrin) treatments have become highly sought-after non-surgical procedures for facial and skin rejuvenation as well as hair restoration. PRP therapy is a treatment which uses your own blood platelets to stimulate new cell growth, helping to improve your complexion, skin texture and to restore lost facial volume. Your blood is essentially made up of four components; red blood cells, white blood cells, the plasma and the platelets. We take your blood and spin it in a centrifuge, which enables the separation of the blood cells from your plasma and platelets. This is then re-injected into the skin to stimulate collagen and new skin cells. PRP harnesses the beneficial functions of the patients own platelets and therefore there is no risk of allergy or rejection of the treatment. PRP can also be successfully used to treat thinning hair and hair loss particularly male pattern baldness. It is important to start treatment early on and whether you are a suitable candidate will be determined during your consultation.
PRP/PRF can be either directly injected or topically infused into specific areas of the skin during your microneedling, RF mircroneedling or laser resurfacing treatments. Cosmetic areas that are best suited for PRP/PRF are dark circles, puffiness under the eyes, fine lines and sagging around your mouth, cheeks, and eyes, diminished skin tone, and areas of thinning hair. PRP/PRF treatments can also be used as rejuvenation treatments for your hands, neck, and décolleté.
PRP/PRF is a treatment that really doesn’t discriminate. It’s an amazing procedure for anyone looking for overall skin rejuvenation, whether it be on your face, hands, neck, or décolleté. Not only is it a great treatment for addressing typical signs of aging, but it can also improve on hyperpigmentation, scaring as well as hair thinning.
The difference between PRP and PRF lies in how the blood is processed and what kinds of growth factors, plasma or fibrins, are extracted from the blood, and which will more effectively treat your particular needs. PRF (platelet-rich fibrin) is rich in white cells and fibrin matrix. It spins at a slower speed than PRP so as to avoid disrupting cells. This allows for slow release of growth factors in comparison to PRP. You’re bathing the area in rich factors for a longer period of time. In other words, PRF allows for “amplified PRP” results. PRF is a “natural” alternative to filler. It uses your body’s own fibrin to build volume in the skin. We inject PRF similarly to how we inject filler. This is a great alternative for someone who is looking to try filler but wants a more natural approach.
PRF for Thinning Hair
Ask your practitioner about
PRF treatment for hair loss!
The Benefits of PRP/PRF:
Increased Collagen Production
Around the age of 25, your body’s collagen production rate drops drastically. It continues to decline at a significant rate for the rest of your life unless you do something to stimulate it. PRP/PRF help promote and grow new, stronger, healthier collagen
Reduced Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Lines and wrinkles are among the most common reasons people seek a PRP facial. Old skin cells are recycled and new skin cells, collagen, and elastin are formed. The appearance of deeper folds is also diminished as hollow areas of your face are plumped up.
Tighter, Firmer Skin
Collagen is essential for tight, firm skin. As you age, your skin starts to sag and become noticeably thin and gaunt. Collagen plumps up the skin. Some people may use a PRP/PRF facial to plump up their lips. Others use it to re-contour their cheeks without the need for an invasive medical procedure. Regardless of your skin insecurities, be sure to ask how PRP/PRF can help you achieve your ideal aesthetic.
Improved Moisture Retention
The stronger and thicker your skin is, the better protected the deeper layers of your skin are from outside irritants. A strong skin barrier also helps to retain moisture. PRP/PRF can help promote collagen.
Enhanced Skin Tone and Texture
If you have acne scars, surgical scars, scars from traumatic injury, stretch marks, hyperpigmentation, or other forms of poor skin tone or texture, you can benefit from microneedling or laser resurfacing enhanced with PRP. With old skin cells giving birth to new and healthy ones, you will be astounded by the significant improvement in the appearance of your skin just a few short days after one PRP treatment.
PRF for Under Eye
Ask your practitioner about
PRF treatment for under eye!
PRF Under Eyes ( Tear Troughs )
The under-eye area often called “tear trough”, is the first to age for most people. Multiple techniques are used to address this area and the choice often depends on skin damage, skin texture, bony changes, and fat pad herniation. This a complex area with thin skin and a dynamic component. PRF is injected using a cannula and results in very little bruising or swelling. PRF contains growth factors and stem cells that are responsible for creating new skin cells, collagen, and blood vessels.
PRF Antiaging Facial Injections
Platelet-rich fibrin, or PRF, is a completely natural aesthetic injectable that can rejuvenate the appearance of your face. Using a concentration of your own blood, PRF can help restore your youthful, smooth appearance. The injections work overtime, promoting the generation of new collagen which improves the tone and texture of the skin. A series of 3 sessions is recommended 4 weeks apart.
Have you noticed increased hair loss or thinning hair? Platelet Rich Fibrin will stimulate new hair growth and restore more youthful-looking hair. You will need a series of 3-4 treatments separated by 30 days for optimum results (which will be seen 4-9 months following treatments). This treatment requires your blood to be drawn– stay hydrated at least 24 hrs prior to your appointment.
PRP/PRF Microneeding ( Vampire Facial )
Platelet Rich Fibrin is used while microneedling the face and neck to stimulate collagen, tighten the skin, minimize pore size, improve skin texture, diminish scarring, and improve the appearance of fine lines/wrinkles. This is the ultimate anti-aging facial. This treatment requires your blood to be drawn– stay hydrated 24 prior to your appointment.
PRP/PRF Body Microneeding
Platelet Rich Fibrin is used while microneedling areas such as the knees, legs, arms, abdomen to stimulate collagen, tighten the skin, improve hyperpigmentation, improve skin texture, diminish scarring, and improve the appearance of fine lines/wrinkles. This is the ultimate anti-aging treatment. This treatment requires your blood to be drawn– stay hydrated at least 24 hrs prior to your appointment.
PRP/PRF Scar Treatments
Platelet Rich Fibrin is injected and mi croneedled into the area to diminish the appearance of scarring. Improves scarring from injuries or surgical procedures such as breast augmentation, tummy tuck, knee replacement, etc. You will need a series of 3-4 treatments for optimum results. This treatment requires your blood to be drawn– stay hydrated 24 prior to your appointment.
- Maximize natural body’s response
- Enhance blood flow to deficient tissues
- Accelerate wound healing
- Restore volume & hydration
- Improve skin texture & quality
- Improve under-eye dark circles
- Promote hair regrowth
- Stimulate collagen production
- Promote fibroblast formation
- Improve acne scars
- Rejuvenate hands
- Regulate inflammation
Because PRP/PRF treatments essentially use elements that are naturally produced by your own body, these treatments are extremely safe. As no foreign substances are being injected into your body, there is no risk of an allergic reaction. PRP/PRF treatments typically take approximately 60 minutes. 15-30 cc of blood will be drawn from your arm and then spun in a centrifuge. Be sure to drink lots of water before the appointment so we can get a good volume of blood.
We prefer not to apply a topical anesthetic. We have some evidence to say that anesthetics can decrease the effectiveness of PRP/PRF treatments. However if you prefer to have a topical anesthetic, it can be applied with an understanding that it may affect your results. That said, we have used topical anesthetics on patients and they have still been satisfied with the outcomes.
Once extracted, platelet-rich plasma or platelet-rich fibrin are injected into targeted areas with a fine needle (or cannula) or topically applied during other aesthetic procedures (i.e. Microneedling). If you are getting a PRF treatment for the face, the procedure is very similar to a dermal filler treatment or any other injectable treatment except all the elements being injected are completely natural and extracted from your own body.
The results of your treatment and when you’ll see them are dependent on the area being treated and whether your treatment was performed via microneedling or injection. You can expect to see results of most PRP/PRF treatments approximately 2-3 weeks following your treatment, and a notable difference around the 4-6 week mark. Your skin will continue to improve over the weeks and months following your treatment. Because PRP/PRF treatments stimulate your body into producing collagen, elastin, as well as new skin cell and tissue growth, you need to give your body time to produce all of these great regenerative elements.
The number of platelet-rich plasma or platelet-rich fibrin treatments are dependent on the area that is being treated as well as the condition that is being addressed, including whether your treatment is being performed as a microneedling or injection. We will discuss this with you at your complimentary consultation.
Contraindications include but are not limited to the following:
- Pregnancy, trying, or breastfeeding
- Acute or chronic infections, sepsis
- Abnormal platelet function or blood disorders
- Skin diseases or allergies
- Any severe metabolic or systemic disease
- The use of blood thinners or systemic corticosteroids
- Impaired judgment, psychological conditions, and substance abuse
- Patients with unrealistic expectations
Pre / Post Care Instructions Compliance with the recommended pre / post-care instructions as well as recommended follow-up visits by your practitioner are crucial in minimizing the risk of side effects and complications. It is your responsibility to inform your practitioner of your most recent sun exposure, new medications, or changes in medical history before each treatment is performed.
Before your treatment
- For optimal results and to minimize the chance of bruising and bleeding at the injection site, please avoid taking blood-thinning medications and supplements such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, essential fatty acids, and multivitamins (unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor) for 7 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren, and other NSAIDs (unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor) for at least 3 days prior. We want inflammation to occur as this is one mechanism by which Platelet Therapy works.
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- If you have a tendency to bruise easily, you may start taking over-the-counter Arnica Montana tablets 3 days before your treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, it is recommended to take antiviral medication for 7 days before and after.
- Do not apply potentially irritating products for 2 days before and after your treatment (e.g. tretinoin, Retin-A, glycolic acid, hydroquinone).
- Avoid excessive sun or heat exposure.
- Minimize or avoid alcohol consumption.
- If possible, refrain from or minimize smoking prior to your procedure as it impacts the healing process.
- (For hair treatment) You may continue other hair loss treatments such as laser treatment, minoxidil, or hormone-blocking tablets.
- Stay hydrated by drinking 8+ glasses of water daily to improve results & healing time.
Day of Procedure
- Arrive with clean skin free of any lotion, oil, makeup, powder, or sunscreen.
- (For hair treatment) Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo.
- (For hair treatment) Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair.
- (For hair treatment) If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
- Please eat a normal breakfast or lunch the day of your Platelet Therapy treatment.
- Drink a bottle of water (500 mL) at least 2 hours before your session.
- Notify your practitioner of any changes in your medication, or health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
- Topical numbing cream or small lidocaine injections may be administered to maximize your comfort during the treatment.
- Your practitioner will make individual recommendations on when to resume normal skincare or haircare.
After Your Treatment
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling, soreness, and pressure that may last from 2-5 days following your treatment.
- You may take Tylenol (acetaminophen) for post-treatment discomfort or Benadryl / Zyrtec if you experience excessive itching.
- You may have a bruise at the blood draw site.
- You may notice a tingling sensation while the cells are being activated.
- Try to refrain from directly applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Cold compresses can be applied in an on and off fashion to reduce swelling if required.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun, and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment.
- (For hair treatment) Do not wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment.
- (For hair treatment) Do not use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- (For hair treatment) Be sure to take a hot shower and wash your hair that evening, to promote the effects of Platelet Therapy.
- Avoid saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
- Avoid All Direct & Indirect Sun Exposure.
- Always use an SPF 30 or higher containing zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide for proper sun protection. It is safe to begin the use of SPF starting 24-48 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 24-48 hours before and after treatment as they may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- (For hair treatment) Avoid resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®), hair coloring, and straightening for 3 days.
- Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment.
- Continue to avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren, and other anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for at least 3 days after.
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications and supplements such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Ginko, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, essential fatty acids, and multivitamins for 7 days after your treatment unless otherwise prescribed by your physician.
- Avoid makeup for at least 24 hours and until healed.
- In rare cases, skin infection or reaction may occur, which is easily treated with an antibiotic.
If you experience any side effects, such as prolonged discomfort or swelling, a histamine reaction, drainage, fever of 101.5 or higher, or infection, immediately contact your practitioner for proper assessment and care instructions.